A decade after Fox canceled “America’s Most Wanted,” the network is reviving the series — with new host Elizabeth Vargas.
The new “America’s Most Wanted” will premiere this March on Fox, the network announced on Friday. The format will be the same: “Vargas will ask for viewers’ help as she breaks down cases from the show’s new headquarters, consulting with a team of experts representing law enforcement units such as the FBI, U.S. Marshall’s Office and Secret Service,” the network said.
More from Variety
“America’s Most Wanted” caught 1,186 criminals over 25 seasons in its original run with host John Walsh — starting in 1988 on Fox, and then moving to Lifetime for a few more years before the show ended for good in 2013.
Even after the show moved to Lifetime, Fox owned the trademark and copyright to “America’s Most Wanted,” making a return to the network easy. Fox Alternative Entertainment will produce the new version of “AMW,” with John Ferracane as showrunner and executive producer. Jim Clemente, Tim Clemente and James Bruce of XG Productions and Glenn Geller will also serve as executive producers.
“’America’s Most Wanted’ empowered viewers to help America successfully capture some of its most dangerous fugitives,” said Rob Wade, president of alternative entertainment and specials at Fox Entertainment. “By bringing back this groundbreaking series with new and effective tech-based crime-fighting tools and acclaimed journalist Elizabeth Vargas, we hope to continue John Walsh’s long-standing mission to be a powerful voice for crime victims everywhere.”
The new show promises modern advances “such as augmented reality and 3-D life-size avatars that will illustrate what suspects might look like now, pinpoint map-tracking that will take the audience hot-on-the-trail of suspects, and social media.”
Walsh also gave his blessing in a statement: “Capturing dangerous fugitives, bringing justice to victims and finding missing children is my lifetime’s work. I am so excited to hear ‘America’s Most Wanted’ is coming back and I support its return. God bless.”
Vargas previously was an anchor on ABC’s “20/20” for 15 years, as well as anchor of ABC’s “World News Tonight” and the news anchor on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”
Best of Variety
Sign up for Variety’s Newsletter. For the latest news, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
This article is auto-generated by Algorithm Source: www.yahoo.com